A 70-year old wooden refectory at a temple in Kham Sakaesaeng district of Nakhon Ratchasima was burned down in a fire suspected to be caused by short circuit Sunday morning. Damage was initially estimated at about five million baht.
The fire reportedly started at about 6 am on the second floor of the refectory in Wat Ban Civuk, which also served as a lodging for monks. Fanned by strong wind, the fire quickly engulfed the entire wooden building which housed 20 lodging units.
None of the monks were at the refectory at the time of the fire because they were all out receiving alms from the public.
Five trucks from Kham Sakaesaeng, Pa-ngad and Nong Huafan tambon administration organizations were rushed to the scene to douse the fire which raged about an hour before it was put under control. But the wooden refectory was already charred beyond repairs.
During the fire, two firefighters were injured when they were struck by a loose water tube. One of them, Preecha Moonklang, had to be transferred to Nakhon Ratchasima Maharaj hospital because his condition was serious.
Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)